A summer staple, this classic margarita is the perfect blend of flavors… not too sweet and not too sour.
The margarita. Such a summer staple – and one you don’t even have to love tequila to love. And the endless combinations of flavors you can order at some places are unreal… strawberry, peach, mango, passion-fruit… but there’s only one traditional margarita and those can be turned into a hot mess if someone making them has no clue! I can’t stand a bad margarita… too much tequila or the use of sour mix and my stomach will be on fire – too much triple sec and the drink is too sweet… So it’s fairly safe to say if I’m in the mood for a GREAT margarita, I’m heading to a local Cantina that serves them up by the pitcher – for $36!! Yea, that’s a lot of $$ right?! So – I might only go once a month, maybe twice if the weather is fantastic (Michigan, you know!)… Or if there’s something to celebrate, or if I had a bad day, or if I had a great day, or if I want salsa or if i want Queso… blah blah, who needs a excuse for a great margarita?!
So, of course I wanted margarita’s the other day but also didn’t want to go anywhere (you all have those days too – right??!!). I wanted a GOOD one as well, not just from a pre-made mix or tossing together a few of the ingredients to get a mediocre one. A little Google, a little stop at the store and a bit of mixing and taste testing and BAM, the PERFECT margarita was born! For me and the hubby, PERFECT means the margarita tastes fresh, and has a perfect balance of tequila and triple sec – not too sweet and not too sour and won’t kill our stomachs or give us crazy heartburn… or juicing like 40 limes (no thanks, I have stuff to do man!) this is the one!
If you love a PERFECT margarita, give this one a shot… I don’t think you’ll be disappointed – Salud!
The PERFECT Classic Margarita
- 1 – Fifth of Silver Tequila (about 3 ¼ cups, you know, in case you have a gallon of it LOL)
- 1 ½ cups of Triple Sec
- 1 – 15 oz. bottle of ReaLime® 100% Lime Juice
- 2 cups Simply Limeade
- 2 – 4 Tbsp. Agave Nectar (or 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup sugar)
- Margarita Salt or Tajin (salty chili pepper – found in the Mexican section of your grocery store)
- Fresh Limes
- In a large pitcher, mix the Tequila, Triple Sec, Lime Juice and Agave Nectar (or sugar).
- Cut limes into wedges.
- If you prefer salt or Tajin on your rim, run a lime (the pulp side) along the rim of your glass then rotate in the salt container. Or, drizzle agave nectar on a plate, run your glass in that and then in the salt or Tajin.
- Fill your cup with ice, pour in margarita mix, garnish with lime and enjoy!
- Please use silver tequila in this margarita… it will save you the headache the day after and it is just so much smoother! And cheaper silver is OKAY!! I’ve used Margaritaville and Sauza brands which are both less than $15. My favorite tequila is Milagro and I’ll use Cointreau (fancy french triple sec) on occasion too… but then it’s getting to be about $40 a pitcher – might as well go out right?!
- If you like your margaritas “frozen” rather than on the rocks, you can pop the pitcher into the freezer and it will turn into a slush, the amount of alcohol will prevent it from freezing solid (you’ll have to make the day/night before for it to get slushy).
- Agave nectar can be found in the baking section of your grocery store by the sugar. It’s 25% sweeter than sugar so you need a lot less… its a great substitute and is made from the same plant that tequila is made from – so the flavors compliment each other pretty damn good!
- TASTE TEST this margarita before you drink it or serve it yourself and adjust the agave nectar as needed… this recipe it pretty tart, but not sour… if you prefer yours more tart or sweeter – add less or more agave (or sugar).
- I’ll be flirting with fresh fruit purees to make flavored margaritas soon – keep an eye out!
- This stuff is strong – drink it at home 🙂