Creamy soup with chicken, vegetables and wild rice.
Soup is always the cure when someone in the house is sick isn’t it?? Or if it’s cold outside (STILL!) or when you have leftover chicken and Half & Half that has to be used 😉 I don’t make soup all that often to be honest, but when I do this is a staple and beside my Italian Wedding soup, which I’ll be posting soon, this is the most requested. It’s simple and not over done with crazy flavor – just enough to be yummy, especially when someone is sick and can’t taste it anyway!
To make this job even quicker – I use the slicing blade on my food processor for the veggies – I can literally get this to the table in about a half hour – bonus in my book!
Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 box long grain & wild rice with seasoning packet
- 2 cups Fat free Half & Half
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground thyme
- Melt butter in a large stock pot until foamy.
- Add carrots, celery and onion, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Saute veggies on medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked chicken and chicken broth, increase heat to high and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, add rice and seasoning packet. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to medium-high. Stir in Half & Half, salt, pepper and thyme and bring back to boil to heat Half & Half.
- This is a great recipe to use some leftover chicken or even turkey – or from a store bought rotisserie chicken. Or, you can boil a large chicken breast until cooked thru and chop or shred.
- I use the original Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice. If you sub with the fast cook version, reduce cooking time from 20 minutes to 10 minutes. They now have other flavors too – I bet the Roasted Garlic & Herb would be delicious!
- This soup isn’t overly brothy (is that even a word?) Add more chicken broth or Half & Half if you like it thinner.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 6
Estimated Calories per Serving – based on 6 servings – 260.