Cincinnati chili over warm spaghetti noodles piled sky high with shredded cheddar cheese.
My hubby grew up in Cincinnati… and EVERYTHING is better in Cincinnati, and everything comes from or is made in Cincinnati, so he says 🙂 When we go back to visit family in Cincy there are a few places we have to eat every. single. time. La Rosa’s Pizza is one and so is Skyline or Goldstar Chili – both are Cincinnati style chili – which is not your typical chili – it’s an acquired taste for sure, and the ingredients are strange, BUT it works and it’s so good!
The first time I had Cincinnati style chili was on a Coney Dog, which is a short, skinless hot dog with chili, onion, mustard and tons of shredded cheddar. I remember asking for pickles on mine and that was a big no-n0, and I guess a Michigan thing LOL! I reluctantly tried one and was hooked… then I was given a 3-Way… warm spaghetti noodles with chili and cheese… SO GOOD! Of course I had to figure out a way to make this at home since we couldn’t drive 6 hours every time we had a craving. You can buy Skyline chili in a can, but it smells like cat food and has a ton of preservatives in it so making it from scratch was the answer. Yes, there’s chocolate in it and yes, its kinda runny, but that’s what makes it unique and from Cincinnati 🙂
Cincinnati Style 3-Ways
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 ½ cups beef broth
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ½ tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. instant garlic
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- In a large pot brown ground beef with onion until no longer pink and drain.
- Add beef broth and simmer on medium heat, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered for 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with 1 lb. of cooked spaghetti noodles and shredded cheddar cheese.
- For Coney Dogs, serve the chili over hot dogs with diced onion, mustard and shredded cheddar cheese.
- You can make a 4-Way by adding diced onion or a 5-Way by adding diced onion and warm kidney beans.
- Serve with oyster crackers like they do at the restaurant.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes Servings: 8
Estimated Calories Per Serving – based on 8 servings – 450. Based on 2 oz. of spaghetti and 1 oz. shredded cheese.